Friday, May 22, 2015

THE Land Down Under. Australia Part I

The sport of triathlon has brought countless amazing Aussie's into my life. They truly are some of the most warm and inviting soles of whom I'm fortunate enough to have as close friends...I mean mates.  I feel incredibly blessed that 2015 was the year I got to spend 3+ weeks touring the land down under.

Ironman Taiwan didn't go as planned, but I didn't blink twice...I had another great opportunity standing in front of me. I left Taiwan and headed straight to Noosa, a quaint beach community 1 hour north of Brisbane. Noosa is the home to many of triathlons legends, both past and present.
During the 10+ days I spent in Noosa I spent as much time resting as possible. Eat, train, sleep- that's the dream, right?!?!? Oh no wait, it's the life of most other pro triathletes - aka: my competition. Time to embrace the opportunity!
While I was riding high and completely content in the moment, the emotional and physical tole of recent life events started to get the best of me.  I found myself dragging through training sessions, and unable to hit training metrics that should have been easy.  Looking back I think I only had one good ride and one good run while I was there. Coach Tim was back home scratching his head and asking "why?" Meanwhile I just kept sleeping and trying to get everything aligned for the race ahead. 

I absolutely loved my time in Noosa. Every ride was a new adventure....an adventure to spot Koalas and kangaroos.  After the first few rides I started to focus more on the power versus simply searching for Koalas and Kangaroos. My surroundings were breathtaking indeed.


Many sunsets spent doing TRX at the beach
Love Australia - where long course is the norm!


 The weather was spectacular the entire time I was there. The birds sang every morning to wake me up to get my training day started. I enjoyed the time spent with Mel and Jared and am so appreciative of their amazing hospitality! Thanks mate!
Afternoon coffee with Mel and Jared
Mooloolaba
1mi open water swim race on the beach
where 70.3 worlds will be in 2016

















Training was pretty off, but I tried not to let it get to me. Instead I rested when my body craved rest and pushed when I was able to. On my last day there we drove down to Mooloolaba for a 1 mile ocean race. I knew the Aussies were amazing ocean swimmers and enjoyed seeing their ocean skills first hand. The kids race was beyond adorable! Their love for the ocean is contagious. I had a strong race and felt things might just be ticking in perfect time for the real race the following weekend. Time to head to Port Macquarie. Ironman #18 awaits...and this time I was surely going to find that finish line!

Up next: Port Macquarie and Ironman Australia race report. All part of my journey! Thanks for reading.  Cheers to you.

No comments: